RHS

Redmond United Methodist Church

 

 

 

 In the decades following the first pioneers' arrival, religious services were held in homes with the occasional visiting pastor in attendance. About 1888 William Perrigo donated land on this site for a Congregational Church where services were conducted for a few years before the building was dismantled. In 1908, after 8 years labor, another church was erected one block to the southwest, the Methodist Episcopal Church. Parishioners came from miles around to what was commonly called "the community church," the Tosh and Cotterill families even rowing down the Sammamish River from their homesteads to reach the little church with the sweet peeling bell. Located where the state highway from Woodinville met Redmond Way, by 1926, downtown traffic noise spurred parishioners to move the building by truck to its current location where the Congregational Church once stood. This time, the same land was donated by another Perrigo, Marvin. The wood-frame building was remodeled with brick, dedicated, and stood ready to hold its first wedding in 1928 when Mildred King of Redmond married Verne Pickering of Duvall. Over the years, the church has undergone numerous alterations and enlargements. When Youngerman's General Store on Leary Way closed and was demolished, much of its lumber was used to build a parsonage. This Methodist Church's official name has also been changed at least three times during the last century, but this beautiful landmark building is still remembered by many local old-timers as the Redmond Community Church.

 

Prev   Next
You are here: History / Stories About Places / Redmond United Methodist Church